Friday, March 4, 2011

The World Is Calling

I told ya'll!
Last year Mr. Oakland introduced you to Oakland-based paintbrush slinger Carly Ivan Garcia. Film, international exhibitions (Miami Basel '09 and '10), and now a NYC show at Fountain NY presented by TINCA.Inc NY. Know it or not, Oakland artists are making moves. The international stage is the goal. Keep doing it Carly! BTW thats me with my first CIG joint.

Who's got next? Bryon Malik.
I met Malik almost 3 years ago @ Tyranny Allen's sneaker box, Verse. (Man I miss that spot!) He instantly let me know what was up, "I'm a professional photographer." Respect. His priorities seemed clear and he believed in his abilities. I thought it might be good to work together in the future.
Since then, I have had the opportunity to work with him on a few successful projects. He has proven to driven and persistent.
He is always pushin' to improve. His momentum and work ethic seems to propel him through space. Think rocket! In homage to the work he loves, Malik shoots his subjects with a high level of respect. "I have put everything that I am into my craft." Because of this deep personal involvement (spiritual even) he becomes one with his subjects. Whether its The People party, a high fashion shoot, or the cataloguing of a private collection of ancient African masks, he exhibits the rare affinity to interact within the moment without becoming the moment.

See and Be @ Remedy Tonight
Capturing life's moments is a priority for Malik. "I create photographic documentaries." His new solo show, "Seeing and Being", is the result of 13 years of honing and fine tuning of his craft. The show will be an excellent opportunity to experience the broad spectrum within B. Malik shoots under. Live performance, still life, outdoor, fashion, and just plain-old random shit.

Opening tonight @ Remedy Cafe 4316 Telegraph Ave. I have fallen in love with this coffee shop! Since Awaken Cafe closed (soon to re-open) I have completely lost myself in this warm, urban cabin on Telegraph. The mix of retro, modern, reused stylings of the cafe should balance well with the angular beauty of the images. I haven't seen the show, but it will be a stop on my magical Murmur tour tonight. It will be my first time seeing it and I know there will be something that speaks to me. When the work speaks, I gotta move on it! You know what I always say? "Love an artist? Feed an artist."

Seeing and Being by Bryon Malik www.bmalikphotography.com
Remedy Coffee Shop-4316 Telegraph Ave. www.remedyoakland.com
Opening Reception: TODAY Friday March 4th 6-9
Show runs through March

After The Show: Head over to Mua's for Midnight Marauders

Ahn and Ahn Ahn and Ah, Ah, and Ahn's Was hanging out with my favorite pregnant person this week. I like pregnant folk: They never slip on a food run. You are guaranteed to get your eat on when a expectant mother's food drive kicks in because she has been planning and plotting the next food move for hours. Shame on me for admitting this, but I had my first Ahn's Quarter pound Burger during that run...OMG!!!! Pastrami Cheesburger w/grilled onions...Phewwwwwwwwwwwww oui!!!! I have no idea why I never stopped @ that little brick hut in the past. I do know I will spend the rest of my life making up for it. Don't be like me, be better than me. Can't wait for my next one. Thank you pregnant lady. Thank you.
Ahn's is located @ 439 Grand Avenue (510) 763-4328

Oakland Stand Up!

Mr. Oakland

Next Time: Hooked On Derby!

No comments:

Post a Comment