Thursday, August 5, 2010

Art, Art, and More Art!

Sexy Art @ The Guy's General Store
I love to shop for clothing. I tend to seek out those establishments that have a great selection, great service, and a focused, yet eclectic, offering. I wanna look good, smell good, and maybe pick up a heartfelt compliment for my originality along the way. I dig Henri Hubert because I feel like a GUY when I leave. Smell good supplies, masculine jewelry, unique tees, and a crazy selection of accessories galore. English Laundry shirts peeking out of trunks, branded socks stacked high, and antique barber's chair give the store it's cool messy guy's room feel-without the funky sock smell. Peek in every corner and shelf for small surprises: A's bobble heads, old cameras, and comic book figurines. Additional style points to Ree for her layed-back attention that is far, far, far from overbearing. Nice!

Head over to the shop next Saturday, August 14th from 6-9 PM for art & fashion affair featuring the vibrant work of East Bay born painter Atiba Azikwe Andrews. Mr. Andrews loves women. He gives extreme detail to lips, eyelashes, and hair to capture the subtle essence of femininity. If you listen closely, you can almost hear them breathe. Buy a new belt. Buy a new painting. You never know, it could change your life. Visit the store online at http://www.henrihubert.com/ . See more of Atiba Azikwe Andrews' work at his website http://www.azikiweartla.com/

My Stops For This Friday's Art Murmur
It's gonna be a slammin' night for art, music, and Oakland Love tomorrow night. Consider riding the B Line if you plan on drinking, consider taking the new free downtown shuttle. Look for me @ these spots:

R.A.W
Starting @ The Uptown for The R.A.W. show curated by Carly Ivan Garcia. When Carly drops these shows, the people are beautiful, the drinks never stop, and the DJs set it off. From 6-10pm on the corner of Telegraph and 20th. After-set is across the street @ 2022 (2022 Telegraph Ave). Special shout out to Michael Orange of www.toptensocial.com/ who will be showing some of his work.

Best of the East Bay
The East Bay Express is holding their annual Best of the East Bay Party @ Jack London Square. My picks @ that event are for The Dance Battle from 7-9 hosted by The People and Yak Films. Also stop by the Art Stage for live aerosol art If These Walls Could Talk and A Decade With No Name are labors of love presented by the graphic team @ fiftyseven-thirtythree. Pay close attention to longtime Oakland painter RAS Terms. I'm still kickin' myself for not buying that Rooster painting he showed @ Old Crow. BTW thats me in my bad-ass fiftyseven-thirythree original Rickey tee in dijon (that's a cool way to say yellow)! Visit the store @ 4125 Piedmont Ave., 2nd Floor or http://www.fiftyseven-thirtythree.com/ DON'T SLEEP ON THIS!
After the JLS set, The People will move the party to the New Parrish for their official after party. If you have never attended one of their every third Saturday parties, get with it! Visit The People at http://www.thepeopleoakland.com/ Get some Yak @ http://www.yakfilms.com/

Midnight Marauders
Gonna round out my evening at MUA http://www.muaoakland.com/ for Midnight Marauders. Sound Schemes will be presented by DJs CROSS http://www.crossdj.com/ and heyLove of (The People) from 8-2. I usually check out MUA on Wednesday nights when the vibe is mellow; these two are anti-commercial with their sets and I always love the new music they spin. Cerebral partying with sexy grown ups. Any set that has the motto "You like the sound, we can get down" is where I gotta be!

Live On Stage!
New York Times best-selling author, Mary B. Morrison is planning to launch her first stage production right here in Oakland. Word has it that her latest book, "Single Husband" (a poignant and explicit view into the down-low activities of 3 successful men and their wives) is set to premiere @ The Malonga Casquelord Arts Center November 5th in preparation for a potential national tour. All of the original music composed by D'Wayne Wiggins. Her overall literary success and the casting of predominantly local talent makes this a must-follow production. I'll keep you up on thangs!
In the meantime, enjoy this rich slice of Oakland funkiness featuring Mr. Wiggins bringing love. Big ups to DJ fflood (Feel Free, New Life, Transdub Massive) for shooting this!







Oakland Stand Up and...
...be thankful for whatcha got!

Mr. Oakland

1 comment:

  1. My computer runs a bit slow making the tall man in the back (Mark Curry?)seem like a dancing robot. Nonetheless, I enjoyed as much of the video as I could stand in semi-slow motion. I enjoyed the post. I also enjoy Henri Hubert. They make me want to dress in men's wear for an entire five minutes.

    ReplyDelete